https://kelseykinney.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Caramelized-Orange-Juice-Carnitas.jpg 1053 1404 Kelsey Kinney MS, RD http://kelseykinney.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/website-.png Kelsey Kinney MS, RD2012-08-16 17:25:052016-11-19 12:37:05Caramelized Orange Juice Carnitas
- Dutch oven or slow cooker
- 4-5 lbs pork shoulder, chopped into big cubes (you can easily do a bigger roast, just add a little more of all other ingredients. Trust me, you’ll want leftovers)
- 2 large oranges
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 tbs lard
- salt and pepper
- lettuce for wraps
- any other toppings you’d like!
- If you’re starting with a full pork shoulder, trim the skin and chop the meat and fat into large cubes.
- Coat the bottom of the dutch oven or slow cooker with lard
- Chop onion and poblano pepper and add to dutch oven
- Add pork shoulder
- Sprinkle on all the spices and toss
- Squeeze orange juice and grate some zest into the dutch oven
- Mix it all together
- Let simmer on low for ~2-3 hours with cover on
- Once the orange juice has evaporated and the fat has rendered, take off the cover and turn up the heat to let the meat crisp up in the fat
- Put meat in a lettuce wrap and add whatever toppings you’d like!